Sunday, August 4, 2019

... and a bit of a catchup and next excitement

In February 2019 my contract with DOC finished and I moved on.
Luckily there were a number of amazing people in the northern Coromandel area that offered me space and work and support so I have stayed in the area.
Currently (August 2019) I am residing at the Pohutokawa Chalets in Papa Aroha, midway between Coromandel Town and Colville.
Pohutukawa Chalets (I'm in the bottom one)

I am assisting in winter maintenance while Bronny (owner) is away in Europe on her annual holiday.
The Fredrock Cafe is currently in Thames getting some rust removed. 4 years on the beach front at Port Jackson has done a bit of damage.
The Fredrock Cafe @ Kopu with co-driver

Co-driver Archie (on babysitting duties for the weekend only)

While here I have become involved with the Coromandel Theatre, Colville Social Services, The Colville Project and Driving Creek Pottery and Railway. So life has actually gotten much busier and I have had a bit of a change of direction.
So in closing up with DOC a bit of a look at some highlights.
Stanley Island tuatara release.
Releasing tuatara back into the wild
 Taranaki sperm whale stranding
Flensing sperm whales (me in orange centre)
And have been back to pottery excitements at Driving Creek Pottery and Railway in Coromandel Town.

Barry Brickell, founder/builder of Driving Creek
Driving Creek Railway
 Firing of wood kiln at Driving Creek
Heading up towards 1300 deg C

Sam Ireland after the 3am to 10am shift

Sam Ireland and Laurie Steer salting the kiln at over 1300 deg C
and today repairs and maintenance
redoing the firebox arch

repairs to the back wall
So a start to the reblogging and next post will have my summer plans 

Safe travels




1 comment: