Wednesday, February 18, 2015

What A Difference A Day Makes….

How quickly one can go from….

DSCF6463

to this….

DSCF6466

and be over 200km from where you started the day…..

So let me back the bus up a bit and explain.

On Sunday I had word from someone that the Dept. of Conservation were looking for Camp Manager at Fantail Bay at the top of the Coromandel Peninsular. Now this is a position that I have been after for some time as it is a beautiful little site.  So after a couple of days playing phone tag I finally connected with Karl from DoC and he asked when I could start! So after talking to Sue and Bruce from Shakespear Regional Park and getting their OK to leave them in the lurch, I quickly packed up and headed south, stopping to dump my waste tanks, fill my fresh water tanks, diesel tank and pantry and headed off to Coromandel Town where I stayed the night at a lovely parking spot opposite the Police Station and  caught up with two lovely ladies that I had met at Mangakino last year. This morning I had a meeting with Karl from DoC and we went through the formalities and sorted out what he was going to pay me and then I headed north to Fantail Bay.

So here I am, having been instructed in my duties, which this time include mowing duties, met with the locals for happy hour and caught up with my sister Brenda and her husband Roger as they were here as well.

Fantail Bay is a lovely spot with a smallish camp ground with around 24 sites and can carry around 100 people or so. There are the normal toilets and showers to clean and keep tidy but not that onerous.

If this goes well it is possible that I could be moving from here up to Port Jackson to winter over there for DoC as well but ore to come on that later.

It really is quite amazing how quickly things can change and I will do a wrap up of Shakespear Park and the volunteer work that took place there next update.

So safe travels everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment