Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Capsize…..

So a lovely day dawned here at Stony Bay. I had started a batch of bread last night so it was next step in the bread making process and after breakfast there was a little breeze so we (Brenda, Roger and I) decided to launch the kayaks and do a spot of fishing.

So off we went….

DSCF0342DSCF0343

Little to report for the fishing side of things, Roger said that they were getting Leather Jackets destroying the soft baits…so I put down the tiny hook and caught a 10cm snapper. So back it went. I got a couple of bites but couldn’t manage to hook anything. On the way back to the beach I took the scenic route…

It was a lovely paddle back in and it was dead calm so no worries about tipping over.

There was a lovely waterfall on the way too…

As I had started a batch of bread this morning, it was time to knead and prove so that done, some lunch was had and then it was put the sailboat together for a bit of a blat.

BUT…. the wind was very gusty and changeable and I managed to get caught out by a gust and lost control and over she went, me included. So here I am swimming in Stony Bay with my Minicat upside down. The great thing is that with the trampoline on the catamaran it was really easy to sit and think about how to get things righted. I can remember thinking, “Ok the book says to furl the jib and then put all your weight on one side and it would right itself” Right, so after a bit of feeling around upside down, I managed to uncleat the sheet for the jib, find the self furling line and furl the jib, it was fascinating to watch it roll up underwater.

So then it was a matter of sitting out on one pontoon and slowly the catamaran started to raise up out of the water. I either moved or a gust came through and it ended up flopping back down, but on the retry, I was successful in righting it. Yippee! Now all i had to do was get back on board and sail back…. unfortunately I managed to loose on of my boat shoes on the way up, but was again successful in getting up and away again. I was a bit disappointed that my boat shoe sank without a trace! So after a great deal of tacking across the bay and in and out of some rather interesting gusts from the north, north west, north east and south I managed to get right back to my starting point.

Brenda and Roger had not seen the actual flip but did realise that I had capsized and had the kayak down on the beach ready to come to my rescue and I did have my marine VHF radio in my pocket so all was pretty good. I am rather impressed by the fact that I managed to not panic, right the catamaran and sail home!

So after that……

Bread making was a bit of an anti-climax BUT I have to say it is one of the more successful bread making sessions. Both risings were good and we had some and it is certainly one of the best and nicest so far. As you can see from the pictures below…..

DSCF5088DSCF5089

So a very exciting and eventful day! I am so stoked and the weather is still rather nice…..

The wildlife continues to be fascinating..

DSCF5038DSCF5040DSCF5056P1000051

So after a lovely dinner, thanks to Brenda, I am finishing this off and ready to upload…

Safe travels everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment