Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Kayaking, Biking and Injured Birds

Yesterday was an interesting day full of exciting things.

First up, the washing, was that time of the week again and so a load of washing was done, although the day was overcast I managed to get things dry.

Once the washing was on the line I unloaded the kayak and headed off out into Port FitzRoy Harbour to see what was out there.

Had a couple of nibbles, but nothing much out there. After speaking to a couple of locals, I now know where to go and what to do. Apparently one can take the black mussels off the buoys at the mussel farms and crush them for burley. This seems to work. Also I was on the wrong side of the harbour.

I paddled down to the red star on the map below and then drifted back past the mussel farm and then paddled home. The yellow stars are the good fishing spots (apparently)

mAP001

So after lunch I decided to take a bit of a wander on the mountain bike towards the Forest Road which is the mountain bike track across the island. I got as far as the Kaiaraara Hut which is nestled in the bush and then headed back.

The three pics are

1: Overlooking Akapoua Bay on the way round to Kaiarara Bay.

2: The swing bridge across the Kaiarara Stream just prior to the hut

3: The loo at the hut, you have to clamber up to get inside!

The track is quite muddy further in and is very up and down so that might wait til after I finish my tasks for DoC and am a bit fitter!

After dinner I managed to find a kereru or wood pigeon lying on the grass and as I have no cell coverage but have internet, I contacted my niece via Facebook and asked her to ring the bird rescue centre here on the island to ask what to do. It came back that I was to attempt to feed it cooked vegs or fruit and give water and keep it overnight and get the DoC guys to take it to Tryphena in the morning. I managed to feed it some left over veges from my dinner and give it some water. Unfortunately it did not survive the night and Brett my boss here came and took it away.

DSCF5581

This morning my peace has been shattered by three young men who have come to trim a couple of trees who’s roots have been undercut by the creek and could pose a danger to tents and people if they fall in a wind. They are just topping them so if they do fall they won’t cross the creek.

These young guys also have the contract for clearing the DoC tracks and keeping them clean and tidy. With what I have seen so far, they do a great job!. Good to see young people getting out and creating good opportunities for themselves.

Have another noisy interruption this afternoon when the lawn mower chaps arrive!  Ah well.

So as it is Christmas Eve here, I had better thank all my avid readers for a great year. Thanks for all you comments and has been really great to meet so many of you in my travels.

Message

I hope you all have a very Merry Christmas and a very prosperous New Year. Safe travels and I look forward to another year of exciting travels. Who knows what lurks around the corner?

No comments:

Post a Comment